Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My husband and I moved in to my father's house (age 92) to

Customer Question
take care of him. We...
My husband and I moved in to my father's house (age 92) to take care of him. We buy all groceries, pay for his medicine, pay the property tax on the house, pay for vacations, etc. Plus I clean the house, take care of his medicine, do his laundry, and cook for hm. He gets about $1000 a month each from social security and a pension. Can we claim him as our dependent?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
2/1/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

To claim somebody as your dependent, certain requirements - tests - must be met. One of them is income test which requires that dependent's income is less than $4000 a year, social security excluded. If you father is getting 12K in pension every year, he doesn't qualify to be your dependent.

http://www.efile.com/qualifying-relative-child-friend-parent-dependent-exemption-test/

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch03.html#en_US_2015_publink1000170933

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you!

You're welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.

emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser