How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4666
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have two tax questions 1. I had no health insurance last

Customer Question

For PDTax - I have two tax questions1. I had no health insurance last year. I read that if you have doctor bills that you owe, its one way of getting out of having to pay the fine for having no insurance. What specific paperwork or forms need to be filled out and who, how, where do I present them, if im filing online like turbotax or such?2. I have a child i claim, turned 18 this past feb but he's still a senior in high school. Can I still get an eic for him? he did work part time at a diner $2 an hour. Should he be filing his own taxes or can I still claim him or both?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

There are some exemptions for not having qualified medical insurance but just having medical bills is not enough. There is a hardship exemption or income below the filling limit if you qualify. Here are the available exemptions and how to apply for it.

Regarding your child's income, $2 is bellow the mandated minimum wage so I am assuming he receives tips in addition to his hourly wages. If he needs to file or not depends on how much he actually made, wages plus the tips. Some tips may be reported on his w2 as well. If it is less than $6,300 he doesn't have to file unless he had federal taxes withheld in which case he would have to file to get it back. You can still claim him for EITC if you claim him as your dependent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, not sure if you noticed that I requested a specific expert?The only question I need answered at this time is how to get an exemption for not having medical insurance.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My is Eva and I will be happy to help you.

1. Having medical bills will not help you to avoid penalty. You must prove that you experienced financial hardship to avoid penalty. Lots of medical bills and unable to pay them would be considered a financial hardship. Here are examples for financial hardship and how to apply for the the exemption certificate:

2. As long as you son is full time student he qualifies to be your dependent until he is 24. He would also qualify you for EITC. If he made more than the standard deduction for singles or had taxes withheld he may need to file his own tax return as dependent (not claiming his own exemption)

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax. Site management told me you asked for me. Twice. Thanks.

Site policy mandates that only you can make that change, not by asking for a specific expert, but by opting out an expert.