Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My nephew just turned 20 years old, lives with me and has no…

Customer Question
Hi. my nephew...

Hi. my nephew just turned 20 years old, lives with me and has no job. He is still a full time high-school student at the local charter school. can I claim him?

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

H&R block software is asking whether he is a college or trade school student.. But I think that is because his age would normally disqualify him from high school

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/31/2016
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 2 years ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Q: hi. my nephew just turned 20 years old, lives with me and has no job. He is still a full time high-school student at the local charter school. can I claim him?

A: Whether or not you can claim him as a dependent depends on whether or not he meets the requirements to be claimed as a dependent by you. For tax purposes, there are two types of dependents, a qualifying child and a qualifying relative.

Qualifying Child Requirements:

Relationship

• Your son, daughter, adopted child1, stepchild, foster child2 or a descendent of any of them such as your grandchild
  • Brother, sister, half brother, half sister, step brother, step sister or a descendant of any of them such as a niece or nephew

Age

• At the end of the filing year, your child was younger than you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) and younger than 19
  • At the end of the filing year, your child was younger than you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) younger than 24 and a full-time student
  • At the end of the filing year, your child was any age and permanently and totally disabled3

Residency

• Child must live with you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) in the United States4 for more than half of the year

Joint Return

• The child cannot file a joint return for the tax year unless the child and the child's spouse did not have a separate filing requirement and filed the joint return only to claim a refund.

------------------------------------

Qualifying Relative:

What Are the Qualifying Relative Requirements?

An individual must meet all 4 of these requirements in order to be considered your Qualifying Relative.

1. Not a Qualifying Child: The individual cannot be your Qualifying Child and cannot be someone else's Qualifying Child. They are a Qualifying Child if they meet all the requirements, whether or not they are claimed as a dependent.
  2. Relationship: The person must either have lived with you for the entire year as a member of the household (a person who is not actually related to you may meet the requirements in this way), or be related to you in one of the following ways: your child, stepchild, grandchild or other descendant of one of your children (or stepchildren or foster children), son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, parent, stepfather, stepmother, father-in-law, mother-in-law, grandparent, and, if related by blood, aunt, uncle, niece, or nephew. Remember that a child whom you legally adopted is always considered to be your child. Also note that, for the purposes of this requirement, divorce or death does not change any relationship which was established by marriage (e.g. son-in-law, daughter-in-law, etc.)
  3. Gross Income: The person must have made less than $4,000 in gross income during 2015.
  4. Support: You must have provided more than half of the individual's total support during the year.

--------------------------------------

Based on the above information, if your nephew meets the requirements of either the qualifying child or qualifying relative, you can claim him. If he does not meet all of the requirements for either category, then you may not claim him as a dependent.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Let me know if there is further clarification needed. If not, please be so kind as to positively rate my response 3 or more stars so that I may receive credit for assisting you. If there s a problem rating, let me know. Thank you in advance.

I just became aware that from 1/29 - 1/31, there might have been a technical issue that wouldn't allow you to respond or rate my answer when I answered your question. Let me know if you require further information regarding this matter and if you attempted to respond or rate and was unable to. If there was a technical issue, please tell me what the issue was so that I can report it.