Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can I claim deductions funds I used on behalf of my c corp…

Customer Question
Can I claim deductions...

Can I claim deductions for personal funds I used on behalf of my c corp

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Well my business hold events, and makes most of the money from ticket sales at the event. However, upfront costs last year were $25k more than the business had on hand. I used my personal checking a credit card to cover these costs. Unfortunately, eventual sales were low so there wasn't money to get reimbursed. So can I post this as a persdonal loss?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/31/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Taxes are paid on income that we receive.

When you PAY - that is not your income - that is your expense - and there is no tax liability for expenses.
However as that are expenses you personally pay for C-corporation - that amount is classified as your contribution to C-corporation and it is added to the basis you have in C-corporation shares.

Whether C-corporation may DEDUCT these expenses is a different issue - if these are qualified business expenses - they are deducted on form 1120.

But because these are expenses of C-corporation - you may not claim as your personal loss as long as you own shares of that corporation.

As you are an employee of C-corporation - C-corporation may reimburse you for these expenses - so you will receive the money tax free under an accountable reimbursement plan. And because they woudl be tax free for you - you woudl not need to deduct reimbursements.

But again - C-corporation is completely separate entity - and will need to deduct its own expenses.

.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor