Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My issue is basis coop unit I started renting in 2015
,

Customer Question
Hi, I am Prabir...

Hi, I am Prabir Bhowal. My issue is basis for depreciation for a coop unit I started renting in 2015

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I looked P527, got the coop info, and figured adjusted basis per p. 16 (changed to rental). It said smaller of adj. basis or FMF which is adjusted basis minus straight line depreciation, unless the value is unrealistic. It's the last part, straight line depreciation that I dont understand

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/30/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

...

I can help you here.

...

Straight line depreciation means dividing the basis by equal amounts over the depreciation period

...

for example, if the depreciation period is 5 years ... straight line depreciation would have a depreciation expense of 1/5, of that adjusted basis or fair market value, per year.

Here's an excellent overview of the subject: http://www.investopedia.com/articles/06/depreciation.asp

...

Hope this has helped … let me know if you have questions

...

If this HAS helped, I'd really appreciate your positive rating … (by using the stars or rating request on your screen) … … That’s the only way JustAnswer will credit me for the work.

...

Thank you,

Lane

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

Let me know…

...

Thanks

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS