How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15733
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have dual citizenship US and Spanish. I receive SS and a

Customer Question

I have dual citizenship US and Spanish. I receive SS and a Wisconsin Teachers pension. I live in Wisconsin. I want to go and reside in Barcelona. Is it possible to have my checks deposited in a bank in Spain or have them deposited in the US and then have the bank transfer the money every month to a bank in Spain. I would like to pay taxes here. I have my money with TRowePrice and have to every year make the required minimum distributions. Also what is the amount that I can send to a bank in Barcelona. Besides here I am Maria Teresa Olsen but inn Spain we keep our maiden name. Maria Teresa Ubide.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


As a US citizen you would still need to report all your income to the US. Your tax reporting does not change even if you move to Spain.

Your SS can continue even though you are outside the US.

Transferring the money to a bank in Spain would not be disallowed but that opens you up to an additional reporting possibility. FATCA. The provisions commonly known as the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) became law in March 2010.

The reporting requirement for Form 8938 is separate from the reporting requirement for the FinCEN Form 114, Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (“FBAR”) (formerly TD F 90-22.1). An individual may have to file both forms and separate penalties may apply for failure to file each form.

As afar as how much you can move to the bank in Spain you would have to speak with the US bank.

Whether the Wisconsin Teachers Pension can direct deposit to a foreign bank is a procedural question you should broach with the state plan. Here is a link to the change form

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
You have to actively click on a rating (OK or Better) and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

After you view my response, please post below