Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I AM 80 YRS OLD AND STILL WORKING AND I WAS TOLD THAT AFTER…

Customer Question
i AM 80 YRS OLD...
i AM 80 YRS OLD AND STILL WORKING AND I WAS TOLD THAT AFTER 70 I NO LONGER HAD TO FILE IRS INCOME TAXES. HOW TRUE IS THIS?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/30/2016
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Unfortunately, age is not a basis for not filing income tax returns and paying taxes no matter how old you happen to be. Whether or not you have to file a return is entirely dependent upon the amount of your income. If your income, no matter your age, is at the level that a return is required, then you must file and pay the applicable tax.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you were exempt because of age, but, I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!