Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Looking on how to respond to an irs audit mileage deduction…

Customer Question
Looking for assist on how...
Looking for assist on how to respond to an irs audit for my mileage deduction and I have very little records.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/30/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If you have missing records - the only way to support your deduction would be to re-establish mileage log.

Without supporting documents - your travel deductions will be simply disallowed.

Even if you re-establish the mileage log that will NOT guarantee any positive outcome.

You need to be very precised.

See for instance here

http://www.ustaxcourt.gov/InOpHistoric/ChapinSummaryCohen.SUM.WPD.pdf

In this case - a real estate broker, who deducted car expenses, but the IRS audited him and disallowed the entire deduction.

He did not keep a detailed mileage log but when he learned he was being audited by the IRS, he created a handwritten mileage log with a list of places he claimed to have driven. The Tax Court found that records weren’t sufficient and denied the entire deduction.

As an example - see page 27

Table 5-2. Daily Business Mileage and Expense Log

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p463.pdf

That is an example of the mileage log acceptable by the IRS.

.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.