Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I worked at a friends house and they paid me through their…

Customer Question
I'm Al. I worked...

I'm Al. I worked at a friends house and they paid me through their business account. Now they area asking for my SSN to 1099 me through their business. I don't feel comfortable having them do this, since 1 it was never discussed doing work on their house would be done through their business, 2 they never paid me for the remainder of the work, and 3 I'm already declaring the income for my taxes. They said they would report me to the IRS for not providing my SSN. Can they do this?

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Wouldn't this 1099 be something that need to be signed before the work was started, or at least before the end of the year. Since it was for a friend and never discussed that they would try to use it for a business write-off.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/29/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Can they do this?
yes - they may report whatever they want, but there is NO such law which would require you to provide your social security number.
You may perfectly refuse.

On the other hand - if you do not provide the tax information to the payer - they are required to withhold - but that is a different issue.

As you are correctly reporting that income on your tax return - there is nothing you may be afraid for their reporting.

Your relations might go bad and they might not offer you any job after that - but otherwise - I do not see any issues.

.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor