How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephen G. Your Own Question
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7119
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Stephen G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm an independent contractor who owes back taxes. What

Customer Question

I'm an independent contractor who owes back taxes. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Well, the first thing you need to do is to get your information together by year and have your returns prepared.

Then, based upon what you actually owe, it will be possible to work out a payment plan with the IRS and or

based upon your financial situation, you may be able to make an "Offer in Compromise" to have your total liability, including penalties & interest settled for less than the amount you owe.

However, the IRS will not consider anything until the delinquent returns are filed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this a one time Levy to the thired party or on going?
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure what you mean? Has the IRS filed a levy with your bank or what is the status of the levy?

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in...................

I see that you have had a chance to review my response, but I don't see any follow-up questions?

If you do not have any additional questions, I would appreciate it if you would take a minute to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Thanks very much,

Steve G.

Related Tax Questions