Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Is there a credit or deduction or state taxes paid the

Customer Question
Is there a credit or...
Is there a credit or deduction for federal or state taxes paid the previous year?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/29/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

So sorry, no, as cash basis taxpayers we must only deduct taxes (state or local on the federal return - never federal against federal) IN THE YEAR PAID.

...

You may be able to deduct state and local taxes in the year they were paid (regardless of which tax year they were for) if you itemize.

here's the IRS guidance on this: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc503.html

From there:

...

Topic 503 - Deductible Taxes

There are four types of deductible nonbusiness taxes:

To be deductible, the tax must be imposed on you and you must have paid it during your tax year. Taxes may be claimed only as an itemized deduction on Form 1040, Schedule A (PDF), Itemized Deductions.

Hope this has helped … Please let me know if you have any questions at all

...

I hope you'll rate me, using the stars or the ratings request on your screen, (that's the only way we get credit for the work here) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news/bad news content ... But if there's something you don't understand, or if you have other questions about this, please let me know....

...

Thank you,

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS