Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am a seamen on a ship resgered in NY state, I live in Nv.,

Customer Question
I am a seamen on...
I am a seamen on a ship resgered in NY state, I live in Nv. , I claim unempolyment on the company in NY when I am off there ship, Do I owe state tax to NY state on the unemployment money I recieve from that state
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/29/2016
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 2 years ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Q: Do I owe state tax to NY state on the unemployment money I recieve from that state

A: In brief, the answer is yes. SEE BELOW:

Nonresidents:

Unemployment compensation that is part of your federal adjusted gross income and derived or resulting from employment in New York State is taxable to a nonresident.

If the unemployment compensation received from New York State sources is based on wage or salary income earned partly in and partly out of New York State, figure the amount allocable to New York State in the same manner as the wage and salary income on which it is based.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://tax.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/659/~/are-my-unemployment-compensation-payments-taxed-by-new-york-state%3F

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

I just became aware that from 1/29 - 1/31, there might have been a technical issue that wouldn't allow you to respond or rate my answer when I answered your question. Let me know if you require further information regarding this matter and if you attempted to respond or rate and was unable to.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant