Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

If 2 people sign a quit claim on an investment property they

Customer Question

If 2 people sign a quit claim on an investment property they own with 1 other person, will there be tax consequences tantamount to selling 2/3 of the investment property to the 1 person who will be left in the title.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If the property is being transferred as a gift, the federal gift tax is applicable, and the tax is assessed on the fair market value of the property. Gifts over the annual exemption amount of $14,000 must be reported by each owner quitclaiming his/her interest, but are not taxable unless the lifetime exemption amount of $5.43 million has been met.

If the quitclaim deed is being used for the sale of a property, then the capital gains tax applies. The capital gains tax is calculated based on any profit from the sale, and each person would report his/her share of the sale.

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification. If so, please come back to me here and I will be happy to assist you further. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts Just Answer to compensate me for a portion of the fee you previously paid.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb