How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29577
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

May name is ***** ***** & I just recieved a 1099-R form and

Customer Question

Hi may name is ***** ***** & I just recieved a 1099-R form and am nervous about what it will do to my taxes and how much it may be
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Okay,I recieved an check last year from a vested benefit plan that was just discovered from my late husbands retirement plan,it was one sum payment,and now I just recieved a 1099-R for that amount & am concerned
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to our site!

You will need include that amount into your tax return.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

On form 1040 - you need to report
line 16a - from 1099R box 1 - total distribution
line 16b - from 1099R box 2a - taxable part of distribution - in most cases it is equals to box 1.
line 64 - from 1099R box 4 - that how the amount of tax withheld is credited!
Let me know if you need help to estimate your possible tax liability.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.