Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Waiver notice from IRS defiencey letter taxes but we in

Customer Question
Waiver notice from IRS...

Waiver notice from IRS defiencey letter for 2013 taxes but we in bankruptcy

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Can I file a tax return this year

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/27/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

You may file your 2015 tax return - that is not an issue...

However if you are due a refund - please be aware that any refund will be garnished.

If you file for the bankruptcy protection - that would not automatically provide a relief from all tax debts.

You must specifically include these debts into your bankruptcy case.

If the income tax debt meets all five of these rules, then the tax debt is discharged in bankruptcy petitions.

-The due date for filing a tax return is at least three years ago.

-The tax return was filed at least two years ago.

-The tax assessment is at least 240 days old.

-The tax return was not fraudulent.

-The taxpayer is not guilty of tax evasion.

.

If your tax debt doesn't qualify for the discharge - you might need to look for different options or to set an installment payment plan with the IRS.

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.