How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12481
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Bought a truck in 2011 out of state and used it on my farm.

Customer Question

Bought a truck in 2011 out of state and used it on my farm. Never registered it or paid sales tax. After paying off the truck in 2013, I never received the title. How and who is holding the title. I live in Kansas, purchased in Oklahoma and financed through does motor credit.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

The company you purchased the truck through should have provided the title


In OK, How to Complete a Vehicle Title Transfer in Oklahoma:

  1. Seller gives the title to buyer, properly assigned over with a notarized signature.
  2. Seller provides odometer disclosure and lien release, if applicable.
  3. Buyer completes a title application.
  4. Buyer brings all paperwork, application, and payment for titling fees to the MVD.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought the vehicle from a dealership brand new. I then drove it to my state and never registered it. I paid it off three years later through ford motor credit and never received my title.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I understand, but the dealership should have transferred the title to you with their(or their financing arm) registered on the title as lienholder

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ford motor credit never sent the title. Just a lien release.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

If you paid sales tax in OK, then there should have been a credit in KS for that... but since you never registered in KS, you'll likely need to go back to the company and ask for ...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you should have had the title from the time you BOUGHT the car ... then you get a NEW title with the lien relase that DOESN'T have them as lienholder

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

You can likely no go to KS with the lien release and go through a similar process to the one below (except that they'll be issuing the title under a lost title form)


  • Your current out-of-state title certificate.
  • Proof of passed vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection.
    • A physical inspection of your vehicle for the VIN can be done at your licensing agency office.
  • A completed Application for Oklahoma Certificate of Title for a Vehicle (Form 701-6).
  • Proof of Oklahoma car insurance.
  • Proof of a lien release, if applicable.*
  • Payment for applicable vehicle titling fees.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.



I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.


(Please let me know if you need more here)


If this HAS helped, I'd really appreciate your positive rating … (by using the stars or rating request on your screen) … … That’s the only way JustAnswer will credit me for the work.