How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29966
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a disagreement with my mortgage holder. We were forced

Customer Question

I had a disagreement with my mortgage holder. We were forced into foreclosure. We finally settled, and I paid 84000 of interest in one year. How do I claim this large amount?
Also, my daughter graduated in May of 2015 from college. She went to work on August 4, 2015. If I claim her as a dependent how do we treat her income.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

That makes no difference - for the mortgage interest - you woudl receive a reporting form 1098 - and assuming otherwise that interest qualifies for deduction - you will claim it on schedule A.

For tax deduction purposes - your daughter is classified as a full time student for the tax year if she was a full time student at least five months.

So far - your daughter was a full time student for 2015.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Assuming all other requirements are met - and you may claim your daughter as a dependent - you do NOT include her income into your tax return.

Your daughter will file her own tax return - but will mark on that tax return that she is a dependent.

As she will likely use form 1040EZ

see line 5 - If someone can claim you (or your spouse if a joint return) as a dependent, check the applicable box(es) below and enter the amount from the worksheet on back.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.