Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can Daily Fantasy sports losses (i.e. fan duel) be written

Customer Question
off against gambling winnings from...
Can Daily Fantasy sports losses (i.e. fan duel) be written off against gambling winnings from a casino. I live in the state of NJ.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
1/25/2016
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 1 year ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Regarding gambling, losses can be deducted up to the amount of winnings. Gambling winnings and losses are not separated by category. SEE BELOW:

Topic 419 - Gambling Income and Losses

The following rules apply to casual gamblers. Gambling winnings are fully taxable and you must report them on your tax return. Gambling income includes but is not limited to winnings from lotteries, raffles, horse races, and casinos. It includes cash winnings and the fair market value of prizes, such as cars and trips. For additional information, refer to Publication 525, Taxable and Nontaxable Income, or review Do I Need to Claim My Gambling Winnings and Can I Deduct My Gambling Losses?

Gambling Winnings

A payer is required to issue you a Form W-2G (PDF), Certain Gambling Winnings, if you receive certain gambling winnings or if you have any gambling winnings subject to federal income tax withholding. You must report all gambling winnings on your Form 1040 (PDF) as "Other Income" (line 21), including winnings that are not subject to withholding. In addition, you may be required to pay an estimated tax on your gambling winnings. For information on withholding on gambling winnings, refer to Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax. If you are considered a nonresident alien of the United States for income tax purposes and you have to file a tax return, you must use Form 1040NR (PDF), U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return. Refer to Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens, and Publication 901, U.S. Tax Treaties, for more information.

Gambling Losses

You may deduct gambling losses only if you itemize deductions. However, the amount of losses you deduct may not be more than the amount of gambling income reported on your return. Claim your gambling losses on Form 1040, Schedule A (PDF) as an "Other Miscellaneous Deduction" (line 28) that is not subject to the 2% limit. A nonresident alien of the United States cannot deduct gambling losses.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc419.html

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant