Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm filling a N-400 and I have a question on part 7 which is…

Customer Question
I'm filling a N-400 and...
I'm filling a N-400 and I have a question on part 7 which is about Employment/Schools.
On the instructions they say to put self-employed if you work for yourself.
so I'm not sure if this apply to me because of the following. Can you help me to clarify.
I own a 50% of an small corp since 2007 but I never worked for it till now. I used to get dividends only throught a K1
Should I considered myself as a regular employee of my own company since i'm getting a w2 at the end of the year or should i refer to me as self-employed because i have ownership although i'm not getting 1099?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/25/2016
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 2 years ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

That's a good question, but NO, you would not be classified as Self-Employed.

Yes, you would be classified as a regular employee as you don't actually work for yourself, the corporation is

considered a separate "person" (entity) and the corporation is the Employer.

Questions?

If not, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Questions?