Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My name is ***** *****. My question regards filing 1099

Customer Question
Customer: Hi. My name...
Customer: Hi. My name is ***** *****. My question regards ***** ***** Misc . Where does the Payee send copy 1 of the 1099-misc in California?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm an employer. Just sent all the required copys of 1099-misc to IRS and to the recipients . Copy 1 says "for State Tax Department". Some sources say in California you aren't required to send them. On the same document it says to send by Jan 31. What address do I send them to?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
1/23/2016
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 1 year ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Based on the following information, it does not appear that you need to file a copy of the Form 1099-Misc with the state of California. SEE BELOW;

For electronic filing of the Form 1099-Misc, the following applies. If you are using the combined federal and state filing program, you do not need to send copies of the 1099-misc to the Franchise Tax Board. However, if you have not been approved for this program, you will need to send copies of the 1099s to the FTB. SEE BELOW:

If you use the IRS Combined Federal/State Filing Program, you only have to file once. IRS will forward your California returns to us. Only the following forms may be filed under this program:

To request approval to participate in the IRS Combined Federal/State Filing Program, see IRS Publication 1220, Specifications for Filing Forms 1098, 1099, 5498, and W-2G Electronically or call IRS Information Reporting at 866.455.7438.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/businesses/infortrns/how_to_file.shtml

------------------------------

For paper filing of the Form 1099-Misc, the following applies:

If you file paper returns with IRS, do not send a paper copy to us. IRS will forward the information to us, whether you are located in or out of the State of California.

If you have an exception that requires you to report something different for federal and state purposes, such as a different dollar amount, file separate returns with IRS and us.

While we encourage you to file electronically, you may file up to 249 paper returns by the due date of February 28*. If you file 250 or more returns, you must file electronically. If you must file on a paper return with us, mail it to:

FRANCHISE TAX BOARD
PO BOX 942840
SACRAMENTO, CA###-##-####/p>

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/businesses/infortrns/When2file.shtml

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant