How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15178
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to buy a vacation home, but first must sell my

Customer Question

I want to buy a vacation home, but first must sell my present vacation home which is in a slow market (i.e., it may take two years to sell). Are there tax consequences if I can effect a trade of properties with or without boot being paid by either party?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


If you trade your vacation home for another property, no cash just properties, then you will have to report the sell and if the other property is valued higher than your property, you will pay tax on that gain.

The sale price will be the value of the property you receive and the difference in that and your cost (plus improvements) will be gain or loss. If loss you cannot use it because it is personal use property. If gain you pay tax. No exclusion of gain on a vacation home.

After you view my response, please post below if you need more information or if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Please advise if you need more information about using the method you asked about to replace your vacation home.

It is usual to post a reply.

Related Tax Questions