How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29573
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother died in 2010, part of s estate is the home s ex

Customer Question

My brother died in 2010, part of his estate is the home his ex lives in. She does not pay taxes and is not well, But I who inherited his estate (small) am being charged for her heating oil. Can she be forced to sell?? I would not bother but do not want tax leins?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If taxes will NOT be paid - taxing authorities will put a lien on the property.
That is something you want to avoid.
If you are the ONLY owner of that inherited property - you are the one who decide to sell and do not need her to be agreed.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

You might want to find a different place for her before selling, but if that is not possible you may sell the property with her living there - and the new owner will deal with her. However - that will affect the selling price.

If she is on the title as co-owner - you would not be able to sell the property without being in agreement.

In this case you would need to negotiate or if that doesn't held - you would sue her forcing to sell. Then - you might need an attorney.


I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.