Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My brother died in 2010, part of s estate is the home s ex

Customer Question
My brother died in 2010...
My brother died in 2010, part of his estate is the home his ex lives in. She does not pay taxes and is not well, But I who inherited his estate (small) am being charged for her heating oil. Can she be forced to sell?? I would not bother but do not want tax leins?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
1/22/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If taxes will NOT be paid - taxing authorities will put a lien on the property.
That is something you want to avoid.
If you are the ONLY owner of that inherited property - you are the one who decide to sell and do not need her to be agreed.

You might want to find a different place for her before selling, but if that is not possible you may sell the property with her living there - and the new owner will deal with her. However - that will affect the selling price.

If she is on the title as co-owner - you would not be able to sell the property without being in agreement.

In this case you would need to negotiate or if that doesn't held - you would sue her forcing to sell. Then - you might need an attorney.

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor