Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Lev I am back.. I had question regarding filing K1 on H1

Customer Question
Customer: Hi Lev I am...
Customer: Hi Lev I am back.. I had question regarding filing K1 on H1 Visa I started LLC with my friends, (US Citizens) LLC is a partnership.. I am wondering, is it legal file K1 on H1 B
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am one of the partner (Passive) in the LLC created in 2015 with two friends(both US citizens). LLC is classfied as Partnership. Would I have issues in filing K1 Form along with my taxes ?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: May I know how long is the wait ? Can this be a phone call ?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
1/22/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

From tax prospective - there is no issues - you will simply include income reported on K1 with your individual tax return.
From immigration prospective - there MIGHT be issues.

Generally - you are not allowed to be self-employed - and should not receive self-employment income passed to you from the partnership.

So - the first step is to confirm that NO income will be reported to you on K1 as self-employment income.

Then - if there is a business income realized by the LLC - not just investment, rental or other types of passive income - your activity related to that LLC might be questioned by immigration authorities.

So - you need to be prepared to address all these questions - and confirm that you conducted NO activity that might qualify as self-employment.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this Mandatory to report me on K1 if there is profit or loss every year.. because I have shares in the company ?

Generally - there is no "shares" - with the partnership - but you own a partnership interest which is a percentage of the partnership.

Yes - if the partnership realizes a profit or loss reporting is required to partners according to their partnership agreement.

But again - if K1 reports rental income, interest income, capital gains, etc - there would not be any issues.

But if K1 reports business income - your activity might be questioned.

For instance - if as a passive partner - you invested capital but performed NO activity related to that partnership - that is OK.

But if you actually conducted business activities and you actually a passive partner "in name only" - there might be issues which you better to avoid.

.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor