Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Hammond lumpsum check
, my wife passed away in oct.i…

Customer Question
***** ***** Hammond...

***** ***** Hammond lumpsum check

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

My wife passed away in oct.i filled out some papers and sent them so they sent a csf check and it was in Linda's name I tried to put it a saving acc, I set up on my checking but they would not put the check in it

Accountant's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

I guess but how come it cost so much when I 'm to get someone who deals in the checking

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/21/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial & tax advice since 1986.

...

...

Hi - I can help here.

...

What you'll likely need to do is (1) use a joint account if you still have one, (2) Ask them to make the check to you as the beneficiary or (3) get an ein for the estate and have them make the check payable to the estate (if they will not pay to you, sya, because you may not have been on the account as beneficiary)

Was this a lump sum from, say, a pension plan? because of her passing?

...

Or a lump sum for some other reason, such as her coincidentally leaving employment at around the same time

...

If it was in-deed a death benefit and the check came made to your wife's name two things could have happened (1) they made it out to her name by mistake (2) they may not have had beneficiary on file

Again, if you'll let me know about the source of the funds I can help here.

...

I'm not sure what csf check means

...

and also could you tell me if this was a retirement fund check, severance check, etc.. that would help

...

I'm sure I can help you here if you can provide more information