How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29965
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is incarcerated and I have power of attorney. I have

Customer Question

My son is incarcerated and I have power of attorney. I have been holding his income tax check hoping he would be out before the 1 year limitation to cash/deposit it. The check is dated June 2015 so he has until June 2016 to take care of it. It doesn't look like he will be out of prison by then. What needs to be done to get this money deposited in an account for when he does get out? What about filing taxes for 2015?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Depending what POA allows you to do - if you are authorized to file the tax return and or cash checks on his behalf - you perfectly may do that.

If the tax refund check will expire - your son (or you as his POA) may request a replacement check. Generally that will be allowed within three years.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The banks are telling me that power of attorney doesn't matter - that the IRS will only let him make transactions. All we want to do is deposit it for him. What verbage can I use at the bank to possibly get this handled?
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Specifically for the IRS - you might want to use IRS POA form.
here are instructions

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Generally, when someone submit a Form 2848 to the IRS, it is included on the IRS’s Centralized Authorization File (CAF). The CAF allows IRS personnel who do not have access to the original power of attorney to determine whether the person has authorized an individual to represent him/her.

Regarding your bank - there is no law which requires any specific verbiage - but your bank might have some internal regulations - so you may request your banker what type of POA they are willing to accept.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.