Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My only income is social security and very little intrest…

Customer Question
My only income is social...
My only income is social security and very little intrest income. Do I still have to file? I am 73 years old.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/21/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial & tax advice since 1986.

...

Hi - I can help here

...

Most likely not.

...

The test for having to file at all is whether your TAXABLE income is above the standard deduction and personal exemption amount (which is 6300 plus 4000 for a single filer and 12600 plus 4000 eaxch for joint filers)

...

Then there's anther test for figuring if your social security is taxable (part OF that taxable income).

...

Social security use a number called COMBINED INCOME which means 1/2 of your social security plus your other household income

...

If you:

• file a federal tax return as an "individual" and yourcombined income* is
    • between $25,000 and $34,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits.
    • more than $34,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable.

• file a joint return, and you and your spouse have acombined income* that is
    • between $32,000 and $44,000, you may have to pay income tax on up to 50 percent of your benefits
    • more than $44,000, up to 85 percent of your benefits may be taxable.

SO ... if you're a single filer and lets say that your social security is 24000

...

and your interest income is 2000

...

Your combined income would be 12,000 plus 2000 ... 14000

MEANING ... that non of your social security is taxable ... WHICH would mean that if your interest is below 10,300 (if you're a single filer) or 16,600 (if you're a joint filer) you have no need to file at all

MEANING ... that NONE of your social security is taxable ... WHICH would mean that if your interest is below 10,300 (if you're a single filer) or 16,600 (if you're a joint filer) you have no need to file at all.

...

If you'd like to give me your income and social security amount I can run the numbers for you ... but again , for MOST people where social security income is the only income, there's no need to file

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

Let me know…

...

Thanks

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS