Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

We plan to purchase a new boat in SC, and will expect to pay…

Customer Question
we plan to purchase a...
we plan to purchase a new boat in SC, and will expect to pay SC sales tax at 6% with a cap of $300. When we bring it into Georgia, our home state, we expect to be exempt from GA sales tax, and realize that we will file a personal property tax form to pay next January 1. My question is this: What is GA use tax , how much is it, and when do we pay it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/21/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

Use tax is tax imposed on non-exempt items brought into Georgia. “Use tax” is also a term commonly used to refer to the tax imposed on taxable goods and services that were not taxed at the point of sale.

You paid the sales tax when you purchased the boat. You would not have use tax to pay in GA on the boat.

You know in GA we do not title boats but you will pay when you register with DNR. Those fees are still based on length.

Yes your county will send you the form for boats that you have in Jan. That is a tangible tax on property for your county.

You do not have use tax to pay. The trailer (if you have one) of course will need to be titled and tag received so you will pay then at your courthouse or tag office.

I hope this is helpful.

After you view my response, please post below if you need more information or if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!

Please advise

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4