Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I just got an email that says there is a warrant arrest. I…

Customer Question
I just got an email...
I just got an email that says there is a warrant for my arrest. I have never intentialy filed an errant tax form. They say that I owe $1445. I have no idea what they are talking about. I have tried to call the number202 -754-8540.....it just hangs up. What is going on ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/20/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

I believe that is a scam.

Do not call that number and if you do - be sure NOT to provide any personal information - and DO not pay any money to scammers.

.

As you describes - that sounds as a scam and you will need to be very accurate when communicate with such callers.

Here is an official IRS information regarding similar situations

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Repeats-Warning-about-Phone-Scams

The Internal Revenue Service and the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration continue to hear from taxpayers who have received unsolicited calls from individuals demanding payment while fraudulently claiming to be from the IRS.Based on the 90,000 complaints that TIGTA has received through its telephone hotline, to date, TIGTA has identified approximately 1,100 victims who have lost an estimated $5 million from these scams."There are clear warning signs about these scams, which continue at high levels throughout the nation - said IRS Commissioner John Koskinen.

Taxpayers should remember their first contact with the IRS will not be a call from out of the blue, but through official correspondence sent through the mail. A big red flag for these scams are angry, threatening calls from people who say they are from the IRS and urging immediate payment. This is not how we operate. People should hang up immediately and contact TIGTA or the IRS

If you have any concern - you may communicate the IRS directly _800_829_1040_

.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.