Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Hoa not filling taxes
, the assoication was started in…

Customer Question
Hoa not filling taxes...

Hoa not filling taxes

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The assoication was started in 1979 and my father has lived here since then. he is now a 70 year old disabled vet i moved back in with him to help take care of things and learned that the hoa has not been active since 1999 when i learned this i dug deeper and found out the assoication owns the outlot and the yards not the home own and found the original deed and that in 1979 tax was paid on the outlot so started my search and since then have restablished the hoa board and where trying to get things figured out i called the irs to get the ein number and they said they did not have one since no taxes where ever filed so trying to figure out the tax situation and what needs to be done. i talked to the local county worker and we don't ow any taxes since its tax exempt from being a non profit

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/20/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If HOA was officially registered - and NO tax returns were filed - for all past years it is treated as a corporation and woudl be required to file corporate tax returns.

I have to mention - if you will start filing - there will be additional penalties for filing late, but consider your situation - I think it is possible to have penalties abated.

I would strongly suggest to retain a local CPA to work with the HOA and representing the HOA with the IRS.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney