Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My grandson is living with me and im paying all s expensive…

Customer Question
my grandson is living with...
my grandson is living with me and im paying all his expensive at home,but his mother want to claim him.can I claim him? he is also going to college on a gov. grant. will that effect his college grant if I claim him.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/20/2016
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 2 years ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Q1: Whoever meets the qualifications to claim him as a dependent can claim him. For tax purposes there are two types of dependents, a qualifying child and a qualifying relative. There are strict requirements for both. SEE BELOW:

Qualifying Child:

Relationship

• Your son, daughter, adopted child1, stepchild, foster child2 or a descendent of any of them such as your grandchild
  • Brother, sister, half brother, half sister, step brother, step sister or a descendant of any of them such as a niece or nephew

Age

• At the end of the filing year, your child was younger than you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) and younger than 19
  • At the end of the filing year, your child was younger than you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) younger than 24 and a full-time student
  • At the end of the filing year, your child was any age and permanently and totally disabled3

Residency

• Child must live with you (or your spouse if you file a joint return) in the United States4 for more than half of the year

Joint Return

• The child cannot file a joint return for the tax year unless the child and the child's spouse did not have a separate filing requirement and filed the joint return only to claim a refund.

---------------------------------

Qualifying Relative:

An individual must meet all 4 of these requirements in order to be considered your Qualifying Relative.

1. Not a Qualifying Child: The individual cannot be your Qualifying Child and cannot be someone else's Qualifying Child. They are a Qualifying Child if they meet all the requirements, whether or not they are claimed as a dependent.
  2. Relationship: The person must either have lived with you for the entire year as a member of the household (a person who is not actually related to you may meet the requirements in this way), or be related to you in one of the following ways: your child, stepchild, grandchild or other descendant of one of your children (or stepchildren or foster children), son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, parent, stepfather, stepmother, father-in-law, mother-in-law, grandparent, and, if related by blood, aunt, uncle, niece, or nephew. Remember that a child whom you legally adopted is always considered to be your child. Also note that, for the purposes of this requirement, divorce or death does not change any relationship which was established by marriage (e.g. son-in-law, daughter-in-law, etc.)
  3. Gross Income: The person must have made less than $4,000 in gross income during 2015.
  4. Support: You must have provided more than half of the individual's total support during the year.

Q2: will that effect his college grant if I claim him.

A2: Quite possible, as most grants are based on financial need.

Let me know if you require further assistance with this matter.

Hello again,

Checking in to see if you found the information that I provided to be useful. If so, I respectfully ***** ***** you positivly rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Thank you in advance.