Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I need to send a correction on my taxes HSA and was trying…

Customer Question
I need to send...

I need to send a correction on my taxes for 2013 for my HSA and was trying to figure out what to do with box 5 on the 5498 form. Is that my employers contribution and do I put it on the 8889 form

Accountant's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I received a notice from the IRS stating I didn't do my taxes correctly and what was left out was the HSA information

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/20/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

the 5498 form reports IRA contributions including any catch-up contributions, required minimum distributions (RMDs), and the fair market value (FMV) of the account.

Box 5. Shows the FMV of all investments in your account at year end.

You woudl use that amount to calculate RMD and taxable part of distribution if there were before tax IRA contributions in prior years.

Most likely - you do not need that information fro your tax return.