How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just realized that I filed 'exempt' with a part time job I

Customer Question

I just realized that I filed 'exempt' with a part time job I have. I just got a letter from them saying the 'exempts' expires by February 15th and contact a tax advisor. I did not mean to file this way-I have always paid taxes. This was a side job and I have 1 other full time job that I do pay taxes for. I am assuming I earned about 10,000 from Aug-Dec with this job. I am in a panic. I also have 2 properties and write off many expenses and business expenses. Will I have a penalty for claiming exempt from the IRS? Please advise.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

I assume that you are concerned about 2015 tax filing?
Generally - when we prepare W4 form for a second job - the form is prepared as Single with ZERO allowances to maximize withholding.

The United States income tax system is a pay-as-you-go tax system, which means that you must pay income tax as you earn or receive your income during the year. You can do this either through withholding or by making estimated tax payments. If you do not pay your tax or you pay an insufficient amount of tax through withholding, you might also have to pay estimated taxes. If you did not pay enough tax throughout the year, either through withholding or by making estimated tax payments, you may have to pay a penalty for underpayment of estimated tax. Generally, most taxpayers will avoid this penalty if they either owe less than $1,000 in tax after subtracting their withholding and estimated tax payments, or if they paid at least 90% of the tax for the current year or 100% of the tax shown on the return for the prior year, whichever is smaller.

if you receive income unevenly during the year, you may be able to vary the amounts of the payments to avoid or lower the penalty by using the annualized installment method. Use Form 2210 , Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Individuals, Estates, and Trusts, to see if you owe a penalty for underpaying your estimated tax.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I paid full tax on my full time job but did not pay tax or estimated taxes for this part time job. Also, I have never owed and received full refunds whenever filing my taxes. You state I can avoid the penalty if I owe less than 1000.00 in tax after subtracting withholding from tax payments-I did not make tax payments. So now I am lost-will I be penalized? The untaxed income was totals about 10,000 to 12,000 from August to December. It was paid every 2 weeks. Also, I normally do my own taxes do I need to secure an accountant now? Please advise. Thank you.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Whatever you referred as "paid full tax on my full time job" is not actual tax liability - that is withholding.

The purpose of withholding - to cover possible tax liability.

However the actual tax liability is ONLY calculated on the tax return.

So - when you prepare the tax return - you will add all your income and deductions - and will calculate your tax liability.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

After that - you will credit all withheld taxes - and will determine the tax due.

If that amount is less than $1000 - no need to worry about underpayment penalty.

If you owe more than $1000 - you would need to prepare form 2210.

Underpayment penalty rate is 4% and is calculated using the annualized installment method on that form.

If you normally prepare your own return - you perfectly may do that with additional form 2210.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.