How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15731
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I figure capital gains on oil mineral rights I

Customer Question

How do I figure capital gains on oil mineral rights I inherited in 2006 and sold in 2014?.
I do not know what they were worth in 2006
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

To report the sale transaction and calculate the taxable gain - we need to know two items - selling price AND basis.

Your gain or loss is calculated as (selling price) MINUS (basis)

The basis of inherited property is the fair market value of that property at the time the decedent passed away.

If the decedent passed away in 2006 - we need to determine the fair market value at that time.

That is usually done by historical appraisal.

You may perform appraisal on your own - OR if you have difficulties - you may order any appraisal service.

The appraised value is usually based on comparable sales of similar properties in your area.

Unfortunately - there is no other ways.

It is in your interest to determine the correct basis as that will reduce your taxable gain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help but I already knew that.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need any clarification or have additional questions.

What were your expectations?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping you could tell me where to find the value for 2006.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Try your tax record - that might have a fair market value.

You may contact the county where the property is located.

The county usually perform appraisal to determine the fair market value for property tax purposes.

But anyway - if the property is not sold - the fair market value is determined by performing appraisal.

There is no other ways.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


There is one other possible place. In Oklahoma the estate would have needed to complete Schedule A and declare the value of all real estate when the deceased passed. The Form 454 would have had this attached.

You can contact the person that handled the filing for the estate and request a copy of the Schedule A-2 listing the valuation then.

To obtain a release of an estate from the State of Oklahoma it is necessary to complete Form 454. So check with the personal representative or attorney that handled that.

I sincerely ***** ***** assists.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Please advise if you need more information