How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29975
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If we open a bank account class reunion, we would need an

Customer Question

Customer: If we open a bank account for a class reunion, we would need an EIN. How do we fill out the form?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well we don't have an EIN number, or any budget at this time. If we need to sell tickets we have to open an account.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'm in no rush.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

The issue is that you may not just apply for EIN...

In order to issue EIN - it should be assigned to a separated legal entity or a physical person..

So - if you want to have EIN assigned to the class reunion - you need to form an entity.

That might be a partnership OR a non-for-profit organization - that would be your choice but only when you have a legal entity - that entity may apply for EIN.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a partnership between two persons, how about a school?
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

A partnership is the relationship existing between two or more persons/entities who join to carry on a trade or business. Each person/entity contributes money, property, labor or skill, and expects to share in the profits and losses of the business.

You may have a partnership - that is not an issue - but generally a class reunion is not to carry on a trade or business.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If you still want to have a separate organization - you would benefits if you create a social club

The social club may be tax exempt under Internal Revenue Code section 501(c)(7)

Guidelines for tax-exempt social clubs

4.76.16 Exempt Organizations Examination Guidelines - Social and Recreational Clubs - IRM §501(c)(7) Exempt Organizations Determinations Manual - Social and Recreational Clubs Exempt Organizations Tax Manual - Computation of Unrelated Business Taxable Income for Social Clubs

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.