Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I was divorced in October 2014. I pay alimony to my Ex. We…

Customer Question
I was divorced in October...
I was divorced in October 2014. I pay alimony to my Ex. We both stayed in the house we jointly own with the intension of selling it in 2015. We put it for sale but we got no buyers. In 2015 I moved out because of the IRS rule of alimony not being deductible if the divorced couple live in the same house. My ex still lives in the house. I am renting an apartment. We share the expenses for the house, including the mortgage and the property taxes. I read on the web that we can split the deduction for the mortgage interest and for the property tax. However, the IRS documents are so confusing that it is not cleat how are our options for the deductions. I would appreciate advise on how best to handle these deductions.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/17/2016
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 2 years ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

If you're both co-owners of the property and both are liable for the debt, the mortgage interest and property tax deduction can be split between the two of you. Providing that you both are legal owners of the property, you can split the mortgage deduction as you see fit. If the 1098 is not in both of your names, for the person whose name the 1098 is not in, can attach a statement to their tax return indicating the percentage of the mortgage interest and property tax deduction you are entitled to. Doing this is pretty common.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.