How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3470
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was divorced in October 2014. I pay alimony to my Ex. We

Customer Question

I was divorced in October 2014. I pay alimony to my Ex. We both stayed in the house we jointly own with the intension of selling it in 2015. We put it for sale but we got no buyers. In 2015 I moved out because of the IRS rule of alimony not being deductible if the divorced couple live in the same house. My ex still lives in the house. I am renting an apartment. We share the expenses for the house, including the mortgage and the property taxes. I read on the web that we can split the deduction for the mortgage interest and for the property tax. However, the IRS documents are so confusing that it is not cleat how are our options for the deductions. I would appreciate advise on how best to handle these deductions.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 1 year ago.

If you're both co-owners of the property and both are liable for the debt, the mortgage interest and property tax deduction can be split between the two of you. Providing that you both are legal owners of the property, you can split the mortgage deduction as you see fit. If the 1098 is not in both of your names, for the person whose name the 1098 is not in, can attach a statement to their tax return indicating the percentage of the mortgage interest and property tax deduction you are entitled to. Doing this is pretty common.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.