Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My daughter lost her w2's and employers not sending copies.

Customer Question
She has not filed for...
My daughter lost her w2's and employers not sending copies. She has not filed for several years and it is possible she is exempt (low earnings) and I still have her as a dependent. How can she catch up filing? She is 21.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/17/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

To prepare the tax returns we need to have W2 forms or at least information from W2 forms...
Even she is a dependent - she still may file and claim a refund for some taxes that were withheld.

If her employer would not provide copies of W2 forms - she may request that information from the IRS by requesting transcripts.

The IRS announced that criminals used taxpayer-specific data acquired from non-IRS sources to gain unauthorized access to information on approximately 100,000 tax accounts through IRS Get Transcript application.

As a result - the IRS Get Transcript application was shut down in May 2015, and the IRS continues to work on strengthening the system. In the meantime, taxpayers have several other options to obtain transcripts.

You still may order the transcript online

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

and it will arrive to you in mail.Another way - to use form 4506T

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.

Thank you. That was the same information I had found via the IRS as well. That won't help with state info unfortunately but is is a start .

I would start to worry if the information is DIFFERENT from what you received from the IRS...

But as long as information is confirmed - you are assured that is correct.

Please be sure to communicate if you have any additional questions or need clarification.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor