How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3804
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Merlo. I want to know if I elect C corporation entity

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. Hi Merlo. I want to know if I elect C corporation entity classification with the IRS, will I be considered an employee or still regarded as self-employed?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have filed an LLC article of organization. I was wondering if I would be considered an employee or self-employed if I elect my LLC to be taxed as corporation with the IRS?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

An LLC is considered to be a disregarded entity for tax purposes. If you elect C corporation status for your LLC, you will not be considered self-employed. The C corporation will file its own tax return, and you will file your own personal tax return.

The default status for a single member LLC is sole proprietorship, and you would be considered self employed for tax purposes and use Schedule C of Form 1040 to report your income and expenses. You would also be considered self employed if you elect S corporation status for the LLC.

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,