Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Since we will not owe any tax, do we still need to file

Customer Question
since we will not owe any tax, do we still need to file
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Generally your tax liability and filing requirements are determined differently.
You are required to file if your income is above certain level,

But whether you have any tax liability - that is calculated on your tax return.

.

For filing requirements - we need to refer to the IRS publication 501

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

see page 3 - Who Must File and page 2 - 1040 X Table 1.2015 Filing Requirements Chart for Most Taxpayers

as we see - if you are single - under 65 - and your income is below $10,300 - generally - the tax return is NOT required.

However - your income is above that limit - so you are required to file.

There are some other circumstances when you might be required to file.

we are both over 65 and income 35k inc social security

iwent to the site you recommended and it says to file if you make 23k so we will, thank you

The issue is if your income is ONLY from social security benefits - NONE is taxable and you are not required to file.

However if you have other taxable income - it is possible that a part of your social security benefits becomes taxable.

But if all $35k are from social security - none is taxable and you are not required to file.

You may file if you want - but are not required.