Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I Have a loan out corporation located in New Jersey

Customer Question
(employer pays me instead of...
I Have a loan out corporation located in New Jersey (employer pays me instead of my corporation) I am a television show producer working on a show in NYC or LA, do some work at home in nj. Is this type of service subject to NJ Sales Tax.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/16/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

NJ Sales and Use Tax applies to receipts from retail sale, rental, or use of tangible personal property or digital property; retail sale of producing, fabricating, processing, installing, maintaining, repairing, and servicing tangible personal property or digital property; maintaining, servicing, or repairing real property; certain direct-mail services; tattooing, tanning, and massage services; investigation and security services; information services; limousine services; sales of restaurant meals and prepared food; rental of hotel and motel rooms; certain admission charges; certain membership fees; parking charges; storage services; sales of magazines and periodicals; delivery charges; and telecommunications services, except as otherwise provided in the Sales and Use Tax Act.
So - if just provide personal services not listed above - you are NOT subject to sales tax.

But if you are selling specific products - we need to verify what exactly you are selling and whether that sale takes place in NJ.

Thanks

I might suggest following publications for better understanding NJ sales tax responsibilities

http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/publsut.shtml

You may specifically select publications related to your services or products.

Please be aware if you provide services in NYC or LA - there will be different state laws and regulations - based on the physical place where services are provided or where the ownership is transferred.

.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor