How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2930
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been the sole supporter daughter and 3 grandchildren

Customer Question

I have been the sole supporter for my daughter and 3 grandchildren for the past 3 years. Their father is incarcerated. I am not employed...they do not live with me....can I claim my daughter and grandchildren as dependents when I file my tax return for 2015?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

HI. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Yes, you can but without income, there will be not benefits. You would need to have some earned income to qualify for earned income credit or additional child tax credit. Deductions for dependents and Child tax credit can reduce or eliminate your taxable income or tax but if you don't have any taxable income, there's really no benefit.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.