Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have been the sole supporter daughter and 3 grandchildren…

Customer Question
I have been the sole...
I have been the sole supporter for my daughter and 3 grandchildren for the past 3 years. Their father is incarcerated. I am not employed...they do not live with me....can I claim my daughter and grandchildren as dependents when I file my tax return for 2015?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/16/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 2 years ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

HI. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Yes, you can but without income, there will be not benefits. You would need to have some earned income to qualify for earned income credit or additional child tax credit. Deductions for dependents and Child tax credit can reduce or eliminate your taxable income or tax but if you don't have any taxable income, there's really no benefit.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.

emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser