Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
58285678

I am creating a personal website. I am paying a photographer

Customer Question

I am creating a personal website. I am paying a photographer for some photos and a web designer to create it. Do I have any tax liability for this project?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 1 year ago.

You may have a tax reporting requirement, but not a tax liability. If the web designer and photographer are independent contractors, and you pay them $600 or more, you will need to issue them a 1099-Misc. They will be responsible for any tax due on the money that you paid them. A copy of the 1099-Misc must be submitted to the IRS as well. As independent contractors, you have no tax liability.

Link to Form 1099-Misc:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099msc.pdf

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.