How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3719
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Las Vegas, NV I was not advised that taxes could have been

Customer Question

Las Vegas, NV
I was not advised that taxes could have been taken at the time of jackpot payout.
I file jointly with partner could cannot know about winnings (approx. 5,000)...
How can I go about paying what I owe to IRS discretely?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 1 year ago.

1) You can send in a payment prior to filing the tax return. Paying estimated taxes so to speak. You should still receive a Form W2-G and will have to report the income on the tax return. To pay estimated tax in advance, you would use the 1040-ES. Refer to link below:

2) You can also opt to file a separate return. However, if you do file separately, you and partner could miss out on some credits and deductions that are only available to couples who file jointly.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.