How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15716
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is saleh aldurais
, I am on L1 A visa since Feb

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am on L1 A visa since Feb 2015 it expired in Oct 2015 and now with Immigration for 3 years extentionNov for I get salary here $35000 per year and I used to work oversease in Saudi Arabia before I came to USA and I get Pension .My question is my Pension Taxable.I was Before L1 A on B1/B2 visa
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


A resident alien pays tax on their worldwide income in the US. As a general rule, the pension/annuity articles of most tax treaties allow the country of residence to tax the pension or annuity under its domestic laws. This is true unless a treaty provision specifically amends that treatment. Some treaties, for example, provide that the country of residence may not tax amounts that would not have been taxable by the other country if you were a resident of that country.

As you have been in the US the required number of days to be a resident alien (183 days) and the time you were here on L VISA is not exempt from counting days, you report all your income including the pension.

As to taxable portion, it is important to look at the possible treaty allowance. There is no treaty with Saudi Arabia. No relief for tax.

After you view my response, please post below if you need more information or if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Please advise if you need more information