Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Do you have to record any of the pretax medical or dental

Customer Question
Customer: Do you have to...
Customer: Do you have to record any of the pretax medical or dental payments on the w2 for 2015?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Where does pre-tax medical payments go on you w-2 forms for 2015?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
1/12/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Cost of employer-sponsored health coverage is reported on W2 box 12. This amount is reported with Code DD.

It is not taxable.

That is only place pre-tax medical payments are reported.

However - for shareholder - owners of S-corporations - medical insurance payments are taxable and included into box 1 ( but not included into boxes 3 and 5).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We have medical, dental and Aflac do they have to be reported separately in box 12 as 3 different pretax items or as one lump sum?

ALL costs of employer-sponsored health coverage is reported on W2 box 12 as ONE single amount.

No need to report each item separately.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Our employer does not contribute to the dental insurance but the company manages it for the employees, is this considered an employer sponsored plan?

The employer sponsored plan is a plan which is set by the employee as fringe benefit for employees.

If that is a policy that an employee purchased on the open market - that is not an employer sponsored plan.

Regarding what is reported - see here

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-11-28.pdf

Section 6051(a)(14) provides that the aggregate cost of applicable employer-sponsored coverage (the amount required to be reported on Form W-2) has the same meaning as in § 4980I(d)(1). Section 4980I(d)(1)(A) provides that the term “applicable employer-sponsored coverage” means, with respect to any employee, coverage under any group health plan made available to the employee by an employer which is excludable from the employee’s gross income under § 106.

So that includes - both employer contributions AND employee contributions that are excluded from taxable income.

.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor