How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29934
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We sold some land that was gift deeded to us. How can I

Customer Question

We sold some land that was gift deeded to us. How can I defer or redirect some of the profits so we can lower the taxes due?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If order to defer (not avoid!) tax liability - the sale transaction may be structured as section 1031 like-kind exchange.
There are special rules and you should not receive proceeds from the sale.

If you already sold the property and received proceeds - it woudl be too late for section 1031.

On the other hand - if you held the property more than a year - the gain is taxes at reduced long term capital gain rate - and that definitely provides some tax saving.

I will help to estimate your expected tax liability if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were given the land in 1997
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

I assume 308,000 is your selling price - correct?
So we need to know your basis.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

The basis of gifted assets is the LESSER of (1) donor's basis and (2) the fair market value at the time of gifting.
Please let me know these amounts.

Also to verify your tax liability - we need to know your filing status, other taxable income, deductions, etc.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.