Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I need help filling out form 8802 single member LLC---a

Customer Question

Customer: I need help filling out form 8802 for a single member LLC---a disregarded entity, DRE
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: do i fill out the form in my name or in the LLC's name?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

I can help

...

What's your question as it relates to the 8802?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What name shoukd be used for the applicant on form 8802 for a single member llc (dre)? The llc or the single member?
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

The single member ... because the LLC IS disregarded ... also you must use ITIN not EIN

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

SS number, of course, is ideal .... [Single Member] LLC only uses EIN for issues such as paying payroll taxes for its employees ... and some banks want an EIN for opening up a business account.

...

But all reporting and request made to IRS for any disregarded entity should use the individual's tax ID

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
then how does line 4 get filled out? As an individual? (4a). Whats the point of line 4i?
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

See this from the Internal Revenue Internal Manual (I'll underline the pertinent part)

...

Use the chart below to determine what TIN to enter in the Primary Applicant's Tax Identification Number field when the certification applicant is a Nominee, a FASIT, a Single Member LLC, a DRE-LLP, a DRE-LP, a Minor Child, a Q-Sub or a Sole Proprietor:

IfThen

A NomineeEnter the TIN of the individual or entity the Nominee represents.

A FASIT (financial asset securitization investment trust)/IRC § 860HEnter the TIN of the FASIT's Corporate Owner.

A DRE-LLC, DRE-LP , DRE-LLP, or DRE-LLLPEnter the TIN of the single member owner of the limited liability company, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, or limited liability limited partnership.

A Minor ChildEnter the TIN of the person who claimed the minor child on the tax return.

A Q-Sub (Qualified Subchapter S Subsidiary)Enter the TIN of the Subchapter S subsidiary's parent, Line 6 of Form 8802.

A Sole ProprietorEnter the TIN used to claim the income on the individual's tax return.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Oh sorry, looks like we crossed there ... let me read

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

You'll check the following two boxes (note the the instructions say "Applicant is (check appropriate box(es)):"

...

Box a, describing yourself and your status by checking the appropriate sub-box

...

Box i, then checking the LLC sub-box

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.