Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Our joint income is about $100,000. Mine alone is $85,000.

Customer Question
Our mortgage,taxes, bills etc come...
Our joint income is about $100,000. Mine alone is $85,000. Our mortgage,taxes, bills etc come from a joint account,which receives deposits from me only. 2 Questions:Does it pay to file Married Separately?and,2.How would itemized deductions be divided?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
1/12/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Generally - based on your information - you would be better to file a joint tax return.

The reason for that - if you file separate tax return - your tax rates would be higher.

To be precised - you would need to prepare tax returns both ways and compare.

If you are using any tax preparation software - there must be an option to compare MFJ vs MFS.

You might want to file separate tax returns for other reasons - for instance if one spouse has unpaid liability and do not want other spouse to be held responsible.

Please be aware that if one spouse itemize - another must itemize even itemized amount is less than standard deduction.

Itemized deductions are divided based on who paid. If paid with community funds - generally divided equally or as spouses agreed.

.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor