Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am wondering how they calculate the non-taxable part of

Customer Question
Customer: I am wondering how...
Customer: I am wondering how they calculate the non-taxable part of the 1099-G.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I received a 1099-G in 2013 for my State tax refund. I credited $2,000 to my 2014 taxes and took the balance in refund ($553). When my accountant filled in box 10, she reduced the amount of the refund that was taxable by $492. I can't figure out why or where that number came from. Can you help?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How long? I'm happy to wait a little while.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/12/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Hi and welcome to our site!

There is a special worksheet to calculate the taxable portion of the state income tax refund.

That worksheet is located in instructions.

Here are instructions for 2014

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/i1040gi--2014.pdf

the worksheet is located on page 27.

Any questions?

I already had this. But thanks anyway.

.

You wrote - When my accountant filled in box 10, she reduced the amount of the refund that was taxable by $492. I can't figure out why or where that number came from.

The answer to this question is that the taxable portion of the state income tax refund is calculated on that worksheet.

If you need help to re-establish the worksheet - let me know.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor