How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3117
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How are you?
, Sure. I'm antsy and in debt! I've

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, ***** *****. How are you?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure. I'm antsy and in debt! I've figured that I'm due a refund this year, so I want to get a jump on my tax return but I don't have my W-2 yet. There's GOT to be some way to at least guestimate the totals for the applicable boxes, but I can't figure it out. Then again, I'm a poetry major.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Well, I saw a similar question posted 4 years ago, but the answer wasn't specific enough for me to figure out my numbers from the example. I'd be willing to pay however, if I could get some "hard" numbers--just estimates, but close-- without holding you accountable of course.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

All information listed on your w2 are also on your last paystub. But to estimate your tax liability, all you need is your income and federal tax withholding. You don't need your socials security/Medicare income or withholding. Your last paystub will have information you need. You are looking for YTD (year to date) gross wages minus pretax deductions (401K, medical) and YTD federal withholding.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Eva. Thanks for your reply.Yes, my situation is that I'm FINALLY owed a refund ( by my calculations) and (worse) I need it as soon as possible. So I don't wish to wait for my W-2 from my company. However, comparing 2014's last paystub with my 2014 W-2, I can see the arithmetic relationship between some of the amounts reported, but not all.To be direct, I need to know, if I give you all the details from my last paystub (I don't mind at all) and possibly the example of my 2014 last paystub and W-2, can you "construct" an approximate W-2 so that I can go ahead and file my taxes. I understand that I shall not hold you accountable for any discrepancies between your guesstimate and the final W-2, as I would file an amended return if, upon receipt of the W-2 from my company, I see that the difference is substantial enough to warrant the filing of an amended return.Thanks so much.Regards,
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tom. You cannot file a return without W2 and IRS is not accepting any returns until January 19th anyway. Because of the latest frauds and identity thefts issues, there's some talk that IRS will not issue any refund until certain matching documents are received, which means until the issuer file a copy with IRS. I am not sure how they will go about W2s. Yes, there's a correlation between social security and Medicare tax, it is set percentage of the income. But if you are just .1% off, the program will reject it. But if you have your last 2015 paystub, you shouldn't be guessing anything. All number from last paystub are in 99% transferred to W2.