Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My husband and I are in the U.S. on a Permanent Residence

Customer Question
Card. I have not worked...
My husband and I are in the U.S. on a Permanent Residence Card. I have not worked, and he is now applying for Social Security Retirement Benefits and dMedicare. He is 69. Do I have to apply separately for Medicare, or because I am part of his application as his spouse, will I also automatically receive Medicare. Also, will we get Part B and just be billed for it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/12/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Yes - each of you have to file separate application.

you may qualify based on your spouse's earning record.

You need to be at least 65 to qualify for Medicare and at least 62 to qualify for social security benefits..

Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 year ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Different expert here - thank you for requesting me and please allow me to provide you with some additional, important information.

Generally, you’re eligible for Medicare Part A if you’re 65 years old and have been a legal resident of the U.S. for at least five years. In fact, the government will automatically enroll you in Medicare Part A at no cost when you reach 65.

If you’re already receiving Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefits, all you need to do is check your mail for your Medicare card, which should automatically arrive in the mail three months prior to your 65th birthday (or the 25th month of a disability).

If you’re not already receiving Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefits, you’ll need to enroll in Medicare during a seven-month open enrollment window that includes the three months before the month you turn 65, the month you turn 65, and the three following months.

Sound good? It’s even better if you don’t have to pay a premium for Part A coverage, which is the case for most people. You’re eligible to receive Part A coverage premium-free if:

• You are 65 and you or your spouse has paid Medicare taxes for at least 10 years.
  • You’re not yet 65, but you’re disabled and you’ve been receiving Social Security benefits or Railroad Retirement Board disability benefits for two years.
  • You have end-stage renal disease (ESRD) and are receiving dialysis.
  • You have amylotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) and are eligible for Social Security Disability Insurance.

The following link contains additional information you will find helpful:

https://www.medicareresources.org/medicare-eligibility-and-enrollment/am-i-eligible/

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent